Thursday, September 2, 2010

Metallic Waxed Linen Thread


     
     Okay So I have a bit of a bookbinding thread fetish. I have tried many different brands and colors. I do believe it was Patsy Stone who said "You can never have too many Gloves, Hats, & Shoes". Well in my world one can never have too enough  Paper, tools, & thread!
    Most of the time I use18/3 un-waxed Irish Linen thread and custom dye it to match my project. Up until now metallic thread has only been a dream. I have found a rather brilliant product called Gilder's Paste. This lovely stuff is like waxy metallic shoe polish. It is amazing for "gilding" waxed thread. Just pull the thread through the paste and wham bam Metallic thread! You do have to let it dry for 60 or so minutes, unless you want everything you own metallic. I haven't tried it yet, but the Gilders paste would probably work well to gild text blocks. Currently I am working on a book with Cordovan Leather and a red/gold metallic thread. I will post some pics when it's done.
    ~ Eric

7 comments:

KarleighJae said...

So awesome! I'd love to know if it rubs off on the paper at all as you pull it through the paper holes. Let us know how it goes. :)

GloryDays said...

Sounds a lot like Rub n Buff; wonder if that would work as well?

Love your blog, man!

Cindy Leaders said...

That is pretty awesome. Very cool!

Artifice said...

Eric,

Beautiful books and awesome blog! Or should I say awesome books and beautiful blog! I love your sense of humor and your spelling.

Linda

Rosie said...

I so enjoy reading your posts, Eric! That metallic thread is so cool and I can't wait to see the end result - thanks for sharing!

Loved that Belgian binding too... hopefully I'll get a chance to try it our this coming winter! =)

Unknown said...

That's an amazing effect!
Thank you for sharing

Bette Abdu said...

Great idea for the metallic Gilders Paste on linen thread -- I have several colors that I purchased to use with polymer clay.

Like you the Secret Belgium Binding was intriguing. The instructions in one of Chery Moote's books calls for the sewing of the book block first then sewing onto to the 3 pieces of the cover. I found this method a bit easier but your milage may vary
Best regards
Bette Abdu

Post a Comment